Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sorry!!!! Ship update!

OK so I know that I promised to write every night and keep up with my blog in Ghana…..but that obviously didn’t happen. Honestly I didn’t have one spare moment. The first night I was out until…..2 am? And then I had to leave super early in the morning. That night, even though I had plenty of time to write, I didn’t have my computer with me. The next night I was out until……hahaha5amhahaha…..and then the following night I had to get serious about my homework and studying for a test….. But I really am working right now, well not right NOW, on putting my whole Ghana experience down on paper. It will be coming very soon and I promise it is worth the wait! I am having a hard time putting in to words my experience, which is why you will have to wait a little bit longer.
Right now I am going to go out of order and tell you about Neptune day. The day after we left Ghana was the day that we crossed the equator. Because we have a very kind Captain he decided to take us a little bit off course so that we could experience something that hardly anyone ever gets to experience in their lives. He took us to the exact point where we crossed the equator AND the prime meridian at exactly 0 degrees and 0 degrees. It was a pretty exciting moment for the whole ship. Besides that, every time the MV explorer crosses the equator it is basically like a holiday. We enjoyed that holiday, called Neptune day, yesterday.   The whole ship was woken up by whistles and drums and cymbals parading through the hall ways and we were all told to go to the top deck. Once we got to the top deck we were introduced to King Neptune, his queen, and all of their court. Unfortunately the equator is where King Neptune lives and we have to ask his permission to cross over it. He said that we had to take an oath, and become….blue diamond shellbacks, in order to cross over. Also there had to be a sacrifice of hair from many people. We were all eager to do his will and while some of us were washed in fish guts, before we were able to kiss THE FISH and pay our respects to the King and queen, others were getting their heads shaved. The atmosphere of the whole place was soooooo fun, especially watching people, including girls, chop off their beautiful long hair and people supporting them sooo much….it was just so overwhelming and I couldn’t help myself…..so I stepped forward and offered my hair to be sacrificed!!!!










Just Kidding! Hehehe. But seriously it was an amazing sight. All together 100 people shaved their heads that morning and most of them were girls cutting off their long gorgeous hair. I know I would not be able to do that, but I think that for those who did it gave them a sense of liberation and independence. Later I saw other boys who had shaved their heads themselves, several with Mohawks, some had the St. Francis hair style which was really very ridiculous, and there is one guy whose hair looked like a yamacha…..silly boys. It was a long morning and a ton of fun!
Ok I just wanted to share that with you all. Now I am going to get to work on my real blog, hopefully I will be able to include some juicy details about wonderful Ghana! So look forward to it!
Jya Ne! 

No comments:

Post a Comment